I cannot believe it's been 10 years since Columbine. I just read...School security changed since Columbine. EVERYTHING is changed since Columbine. I mean before Columbine you thought the safest place you could EVER be was in your school. As a teenager, you don't think there is harm in teasing someone, or making fun of another kids shoes or outfit. You certainly do not think that they will come in and shoot you because of it.
Although, experts are now saying that the two killers (who will not be named here*) were not bullied everyday and hated by their peers. They were two nuts who wanted to out do another nut that blew up the federal building in Oklahoma City (that nut will also not be named*). They didn't want to go in and kill their peers individually. They wanted to create an explosion so the other students would run out of the building and they could pick them off as they came out of the school.
I find these mass murderers cowardly. Who cares what your problems are if you aren't willing to face them head on. And the most cowardly part is that they almost NEVER live through it. They kill themselves. Whats the point in that? You never get to see what harm you did. Isn't that the point?
10 years ago, I walked into our house and my grandmother said "did you hear about the school shooting in Colorado?" I was like yeah, no big deal. Someone got shot. Then I walked in her room and saw exactly what was happening and I couldn't believe my eyes. Kids falling out of windows, everyone being treated as a suspect. People died because the police didn't know how to respond. I also remember after Columbine there were like 2 or 3 other school shootings right after that and I thought, is this how we have to live now?
My high school career will filled with normal high school things, but also Columbine and 9/11. Two events that changed all of our lives. You know where you were when you heard about them and you'll never forget how you felt when you saw the aftermath.
*The killers names will not be used here because they do not need to be. You and I know who they are. Using their names glorifies what they did and who they are.
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment